Tuesday 2 April 2013

Flapjacks the thermomix way

I made these on Sunday, knowing that grandson was staying for a few days.  I can't say they've been decimated - that would imply just one in ten had been eaten.  No, they're about half down and I reckon the rest will disappear today.

I have an old Good Housekeeping recipe book that in an absolute treasure.  This recipe reminds me a bit of a recipe in there and at some point I will adapt that one.  This particular recipe I found on the BBC Good Food site here.  The ingredients are more or less the same but the method has changed.

Golden syrup flapjacks


Preheat oven to 200C (fan 190)
Prepare baking tray (see hint below)

125g Butter
125g Brown Sugar
2-3 tbsps Golden Syrup (depends how gooey you want it – I used 3 proper 15ml measures)
A squeeze of lemon juice
A pinch of salt
Place the butter, sugar, lemon juice, salt and syrup in the bowl and heat to 100/speed 2/5 mins or until all melted, liquid and gooey.  Keep checking and be careful – it will be HOT!

Not quite ready at this point but you get the general idea.

250g Porridge Oats
Weigh in the oats and reverse mix on 1-2 until fully mixed.  It doesn't take very long.  And I forgot to take any more photos, sorry.  I'm really bad at remembering to take photos!

Tip the mixture into a greased baking tray, spread out with a wet palate knife so that the mixture is evenly distributed and goes right into the corners (the water stops the gooey oats from sticking to the knife) and bake for about 20 mins until golden.
While the mixture is still warm, cut into squares, rectangles or even triangles if you want to live dangerously(!).  A few minutes later remove from the tray (by lifting the lot out using the parchment lining if used - see hint below),. break into single flapjacks if necessary and and finish cooling on a wire rack.
Keep in a container with a good tight lid - the flavour develops over the next few days and they truly are delicious.


Hint.  Instead of greasing the baking tin, I use some kitchen parchment, scrunched up under the cold tap until it is very pliable, shake off the excess moisture and roughly mould the parchment to the inside of the tin.  Once the mixture is in, the parchment stays in place and lifting the flapjacks out afterwards is a doddle.


2 comments:

  1. Hiya, thanks for the recipe. The quantities would only fill half my (standard) baking tray - recommend doubling up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used a brownie tin and it worked just fine. love them.

    ReplyDelete